Death News

Juan Mack Obituary, Police identify man shot by officers after Thursday evening stabbing

Juan Mack Obituary,  – Cincinnati Police have identified the individual who was shot and killed by officers on Thursday night following a stabbing incident and a chase. The suspect, 48-year-old Juan Mack, stabbed a woman in Westwood before leading officers to Over-the-Rhine. He was shot after brandishing a handgun at the officers.

During a press conference on Friday, Chief Teresa Theetge shared body camera footage showing officers commanding and pleading with Mack to drop his weapon. Theetge mentioned that Mack was heard shouting phrases like “I’m going to hell. I got a body on me,” in reference to the stabbing incident.

A 911 caller from Parkcrest Avenue reported witnessing a woman fleeing from a Blue Honda and entering his garage, followed by a man. The caller stated that the man stabbed the woman “10 times.” Theetge explained that officers identified the Honda and a bloodied Mack, attempting to stop the vehicle.

“The officers were aware of the stabbing incident involving the woman. They knew they had to intervene,” she stated. “Upon initiating a pursuit, Mack pointed a firearm at the pursuing officers.” The pursuit came to an end at 12th and Elm streets when Mack exited the vehicle and proceeded to walk north.

Despite officers’ attempts to use nonlethal force, it proved ineffective. Four officers collectively fired six shots at Mack, resulting in his death at the scene. The names of the officers involved have not been disclosed immediately, as per Marsy’s Law, Theetge mentioned.

While expressing condolences to Mack’s family, Theetge commended the officers’ actions as heroic, stating: “This situation had the potential to escalate into a catastrophic event. ” As people gathered at Music Hall for the opening night of the Cincinnati Opera, Washington Park across the street remained a popular spot during the summer months.

Councilmember Scotty Johnson, a former police officer, described the incident as tragic but acknowledged that the police made every effort to resolve it peacefully.  “From what I’ve observed, the police handled the situation tactically well,” he remarked. “Their priority was to preserve life, and they acted accordingly.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button