Death News

Samson Lucas Bariah Fussner Obituary, Man fatally shot at Yellowstone National Park threatened mass shooting

Samson Lucas Bariah Fussner Obituary, – The man who was fatally shot after an exchange of gunfire with rangers at Yellowstone National Park last week had held a woman against her will and threatened to carry out a mass shooting outside the park, authorities said.

The suspect was identified Monday as Samson Lucas Bariah Fussner, 28, of Milton, Florida, according to the Park County Sheriff’s Office. Fussner died after an exchange of gunfire with law enforcement rangers, the National Park Service said in a news release Tuesday.

Yellowstone’s 911 dispatch center received a call just after midnight on the Fourth of July reporting that a woman had been held against her will by an armed man in a residence at the popular Canyon Village area, which offers lodges, cabins, and camping, according to the National Park Service. The woman told authorities that “Fussner threatened to kill her and others, including plans to allegedly carry out a mass shooting(s) at July 4th events outside the park,” the agency added.

Yellowstone National Park law enforcement rangers later confronted Fussner, who was shooting a semi-automatic rifle toward a dining facility at Canyon Village, the National Park Service said. Fussner then died after an “armed altercation with at least one Park Ranger,” according to the Park County Sheriff’s Office.

Park County coroner Cody Gortmaker confirmed to USA TODAY on Tuesday that Fussner’s cause of death was gunshot wounds. The investigation is being led by the FBI and will be reviewed by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Wyoming, according to the National Park Service.

“Thanks to the heroic actions of our law enforcement rangers, many lives were saved here last Thursday,” Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Cam Sholly said in a statement Tuesday. “These rangers immediately confronted this shooter and took decisive action to ensure he was no longer a threat to public safety. We are working now to provide maximum support to those involved and their families.”

After the 911 report, responding rangers found Fussner’s vehicle unoccupied.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button